Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Love Wins

“Love wins, love always wins.”
― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays With Morrie
 
 

Grandma Minitta
1927-2013
 
My sister in-law described Minitta on Facebook as "my grandmother by choice if not by blood." Minitta and my husband's grandfather had a long relationship of friendship and companionship for over 20 years. While they never married, they were companions for as long has my husband remembers until Grandpap's death in 2003. All of us who knew them called her a saint for standing by the often stubborn and cantankerous Grandpap. 
 
I knew of Minitta before I met my husband. While I worked as a hospice social worker more than one of my patients had a friend from church who would drive them to doctor appointments. They described her as dependable and kind.

Her Obituary in the newspaper described her:
Minitta was known for being a very caring, loving and gracious lady, always giving to others without asking for anything in return. Many lives were touched by her care taking way. Always a kind word she spoke and a radiant smile to those who crossed her path. She had a very strong Catholic faith.

I learned from Grandma Minitta that lots of little acts of kindness matter. They matter a lot. She remembered my children's birthdays every year. She remembered Grandpap's ex-daughter in-law's sister's grandson's birthday. She understood that in the middle of complex family dynamics there are real people. She showed that friendships shouldn't be dictated by marriage, divorce, blood, age or gender. People and kindness are what matters and then love wins.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment