Friday, April 5, 2013

Athlete

I don't see myself as being athletic. Not one tiny bit.
 


In spite of the fact that I have an official Marathon Finishers medal.
 
 
 
Actually, I have all of these finishers bling.    
But I don't see myself as an athlete AT ALL.
 
Does that matter?
I think it probably should. Our own self talk is incredibly important.
 
 
On the second trip over the Rudee Bridge during the marathon a woman thanked me for the saying on the back of my shirt. She said she would remember that saying later in the race. (Thanks, Jill! Shirt Designer!)
 
Our internal self talk is important. How we see ourselves is important. Smart, dumb, pretty, ugly, lovable, unloved, worthy, unworthy, strong, weak,
ATHLETIC.
 
It's certainly something to think about. If I am an athlete I make time and room for that in my life. If I am not, it gets done when it works out. When it conveniently fits in. Because it's what I do, not WHO I AM.
 
But a huge blessing of being a woman living in this time, in this country, married to an above average supportive guy...is that I have choices. I can choose to be an
ATHLETE.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You are an athlete!!!

    It took me about three years to call myself a "runner". I don't know why I didn't, but for some reason it took me that long. Now I consider myself an athlete for sure.

    ReplyDelete