Monday, December 17, 2012

Week in pictures

 
"Hug your kids and tell them you love them tonight."
After hearing the news of the violent killing of 28 people in the school shooting last Friday many folks reaction was a need to hug their loved ones. That was certainly my reaction and need.  Human physical contact is important and speaks louder than words. A genuine loving hug can mean everything.

My youngest ran from the bus steps and straight into my arms. He had no idea of the tragedy in that moment. A huge loving embrace is our daily routine. I'm a lucky mom.

Pictures also speak louder than words. They help our brains comprehend the words "20 children" and what that looks like when our minds resist understanding something too terrible to imagine. 

Last week was very busy for us as a family. We had kid activities each night starting with scouts for all of us Monday night (2 kids and 2 parents volunteering as scout leaders.) Here are pictures from our life last week... 


Tuesday evening found us at the 2nd grade holiday musical. He was a dancer for the Hanukkah song. He took the Santa hat off for that.... he's decided on his own that Santa and the menorah don't really go together.
 


Wednesday evening we put the final touches to the Powhatan Indian diorama and wrote the accompanying paragraph report. 



Thursday we enjoyed the 4th grade musical play "December Around the World."
 

 
Friday was the Father/Son Cub Scout bake off and Den meeting. I helped the boy bake a teddy bear cake and he decorated it with his dad. 
 

 
Saturday night was a night at the museum. Literally. My daughter, her friend, my friend (the friend's mom) and I left Saturday morning and drove 4 hours to the Virginia Museum of Natural History for a Girl Scout overnight lock in. We slept among the dinosaur bones. 
 


There were two of us on my twin air mattress all night. My daughter's air mattress must have had a leak since it wouldn't hold air. The floor was concrete, so we made room for each other on the tiny mattress. Our view from our bed.... we slept directly underneath a prehistoric whale. 


The program for the scouts involved  learning about the work of a research vessel in the Atlantic Ocean. The girls were able to Skype with the scientists on board. There were many hands-on activities including trying on a real cold water survival suit.
 
Late afternoon on Sunday I got my long run for the week done. I was tired from the busy and emotional week. My goal was to just finish the 10 miles and I met that simple goal. Balancing training and family is hard.  And worth it.
Hug each other.

Lupus Foundation


 

No comments:

Post a Comment