Sunday, February 17, 2013

Race Report and a PR?


Pre-race preparation: There was very little pre-race preparation aside from packet pickup, figuring out possible parking, and lining up a babysitter. Because the race didn't start until 10 am and we live a half hour away I didn't even pick out clothes until the morning of. It made me feel like a real bad-ass runner the night before. Like I do this all the time. I've determined the best way to train for a Half is to schedule it in full marathon training.

Packet Pick-up: Packet pick-up was low-key and uneventful. It was held at a store I was unaware of... it's a triathlon type of store with running, biking, and swimming gear. I saw a 26.2 shirt I'd like there. ;-) The SWAG at pick up included a long sleeve tech race shirt, some ads, and a pack of Cliff Shot Bloks. That was the only fuel offered, there was just water and Gatorade on the course.

Weather: The high temperature for the day was in the upper 30s. We ran through rain, snow, and wind. The course followed a path under some overpasses and there was spray from rain water runoff from the road above. Not the best day, but it could have been worse.

Course: This is a new race and the first time it was held. I won't sign up for it again if the course stays the same. (For folks familiar with Richmond...) We started in a grassy area of Browns Island. There wasn't a clear START point and I wasn't sure when to start my Garmin. The course followed the Canal Walk east then looped around for an "out and back" leg of the course. During this section there was bottle necking in areas too narrow for the number of runners. There were also stairs. Yes, stairs. The total different surfaces we ran on during the race included grass, sidewalk, brick, road pavement, wooden foot bridges, the Lee Bridge (which is a long 6 lane bridge over the James River,) gravel parking lot, stairs and finally cobblestone. Yea. We did all of that and then did it again. It was part out and back and a loop course that we did twice. There was also a 10k being run on the same course with a different turn around at the out and back and split at their finish our second loop. Mileage signs along the course included signage for our first loop, our second loop, and the 10k. crazy!

Volunteers and After Party: I thought the race volunteers were fantastic! As I said the weather conditions were miserable and the race marshals were great. One was yelling something like, "Your co-workers are in front of the TV. You are doing this because you are awesome!" Even the race photographers seemed cool. However, an email went out today saying one volunteer directed some people off course, including the lead runner. Oops. I think that got straightened out before we go to the spot. There was an after party in a heated tent. We made a loop through it that for after race food. I got part of a bagel and hubby had chili. There was a cash bar run by a charity that supplies adaptive running equipment for runners with differing physical abilities. The music was good and somewhere an "unofficial" justice of the peace so you could renew your marriage vows if you wanted. It was lined up that you could order flowers from a local florist to be delivered at the finish. I think a lot of time and energy was spent on the "theme" of the race and it has potential to be a great event, if the course changes. 

My Race: I think I set a 5 or 6 minute PR. I'm happy with that especially since the course and weather were not ideal. An email from the race went out this morning that there were "issues" with their chip timing. According to their results I had a 6 minute PR, according to my Garmin and hubby's watch it was 5 minute. Hubby and I ran it together and it was a better experience than last time.

Lessons Learned: The first lesson learned is that hubby and I can race together and have a good time. I'm glad he was with me. The second is what I've suspected.... Gatorade and I do not get along. I didn't hydrate enough on Friday. During the second half of the race I thought I'd try Gatorade because you don't know until you try. I haven't had nausea like that while running since the summer heat. Lesson learned.

Recovery: My recovery was a total fail. I came home and couldn't get warm. So I took a hot shower and crawled right into bed and into a fetal position to try to warm up. No re-hydration, no protein, no stretching. I woke up an hour later toasty warm with a dehydration headache and very stiff legs. I know better than that.

Today: I was scheduled for 18 miles yesterday, not 13. After my race recovery fail, I didn't do the extra 5 miles. I got up this morning and did them and I feel like I fought for every step. At the same time I also feel victorious that technically I got them all in within a 24 hours period!

If you want to donate in honor of my marathon just click below and my fundraising page at the Lupus Foundation will come up...
Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go on the PR!!!!!

    I hate that feeling of not getting warm after a run!!

    I bet you'll feel better tomorrow since you ran today. You hopefully got all that "yuck" out of the muscle tissue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally feeling the "yuck" in my muscles yesterday! Much better today. I'm going to go back to your post about how much water you are drinking daily. While you were taking in too much I need to up mine and I'm not sure what I should aim for!

      Delete
    2. Glad you're feeling better!

      Most things I read was aim for 64oz per day. I would do that, and just do the "pee" test. I just look for mine to be clear and light yellow, then I know I'm good. I try not to mindlessly drink, that's my problem!

      Delete
  2. WAAHOOOO!!!! Great PR!!! Cold run stink!!! But I bet youll feel great tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby somehow I missed that you have a blog! I have some reading and catching up to do!

      Delete