Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Solo Running


Several friends who have completed marathons have commented on my solo training. One even said something like, "I couldn't do what you are doing." I haven't completed a marathon yet. I haven't gone farther than 17 miles. I had no idea what she was talking about and had to ask. The answer was: training alone.

The first race I ran was a 10k. I joined a large training team at the YMCA. My husband did the race with me. When I signed up for my first half marathon my friend, Amy, said, "Friends don't let friends run 13.1 miles alone. I'll do it with you." I actually have a friend who not only made that statement she trained with me and we did that first half together.


Two other friends not only joined us but one hosted us along with our families at her in-laws beach house! Both veteran marathoners, they remained cheerful and supportive during the down pouring rain!


A third friend, Rosemargaret, made signs and is hands down the best course support ever! She jumps out behind bushes cheering. Is a photographer when asked. I've made potty stops at her house during training runs. Last Saturday when I shuffled past her house she asked, bathroom break? When I only shook my head "no" she immediately shifted to cheering mode... yelling my name and cheering me on.

Cheerful supportive texts messages are always appreciated. Last weekend  my phone beeped twice with them while I trained.


I could not do this without hubby. Period. He's in charge at home for hours while I'm gone. He rearranges his schedule for my training. These three people will travel with me to Virginia Beach and send me off.


This chica! My niece. Once upon a time I didn't know if I'd have kids of my own. She was the only baby in the family. Now she is growing up and having to do really hard things. She is too young to have to deal with so much.


If you believe in God or a higher power you are never alone. Not in the loneliest moments. When I'm running I feel closest to God. That is my time and since I run slowly I have a lot of it. Much of the time is in prayerful meditation.

This training cycle I haven't had the benefit of training with a strong partner to challenge me. I haven't had the friendship and companionship in running. But I don't really feel alone. Bored sometimes. But not alone.

Donate to Lupus Foundation of America

1 comment:

  1. I too train alone. At times it is a little lonely but in the end you are so strong! Come race day it will be a nice change of pace to have all those people to run with and "people watch." It will take your mind off the miles. God bless wonderful husbands who support us and take care of our babies while we train. Sometime I think they have the harder job. :) Less than a month to go. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete